Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to my Roots

Mondays are one of my favorite days of the week. Not just because I have the day off. It has become my day of fun adventures, laziness around my house and sometimes pure productivity. This morning I got to start my day off with going back to my working roots, Partyopolis. I worked at Partyopolis for 4ish years as a party host, manager, and in the end I ran the place. If you don't know what Partyopolis is look it up on YouTube.

Partyopolis was such a learning experience for me that I thought while I sit here and work I would blog about it. I've had several part-time jobs over the past 9 or so years but I have never learned as much as I did working here. I learned how to manage people both younger and older than myself. How to give advice and mentor coworkers through crazy customer things and through life experiences. Partyopolis taught me how to run a business in the simplest of terms. How to order supplies, nicely complain to suppliers when they don't deliver, and get things done in a timely manner. Weekly I faced with an upset parent or grandparent and had to quickly learn the right words to say and the right things to do to satisfy them. I learned all about doing paperwork and data entry (which I have come to love). I gained mentors (my bosses) and best friends (Cami). It was an experience and job that will always be near and dear to my heart. It was easy most of the time and I loved having the chance to befriend younger employees and help them through high school.

As I work in my current job at Saddleback I realize more and more that God used Partyopolis to prepare me for church work. Although they are totally different they have a lot of similarities. I work with high schoolers now and I never would have understood how to communicate with them if I didn't have to manage them at Pop. More than half of my current job is organizing, responding to emails and phone calls and doing paperwork (thanks for all those quickbook and email hours pop). Its crazy to look back and see the path God has made. I will always come back to Partyopolis for parties, some extra money for travel, and just to help some friends out =)

Thanks for the learning experience and great job Partyopolis!! I love being "Back to my Roots"

No comments:

Post a Comment